Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Bit About the McCarthy Farm - Sight for the Archeological Dig....

If you asked me ten years ago if I could imagine myself living in an old house in the country, I probably would have laughed and said "no way!" However, now that my family is here, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

The house was built in 1796 and has had two additions and many renovations - one in the 1970s, which was completed by my husband's parents, and one by us, which literally has only been finished for a few months. Since we have been focusing on the inside of the house, we have not been able to complete the "farm" (adding the fences, animals, etc). So if you are venturing out here on Monday, you will only be greeted by our one chicken, Georgie, but I can assure you the history of the house and the dig will be worth the trip.

One note about the house (we will save the other stories for Monday) - it has never been sold to a stranger...meaning that since 1796, only three families have lived here. The house has simply been passed on to various family members. With the passing down of the house has come many stories about the area. We hope that you will be here to enjoy some of them during the first part of the archeological dig.

If you have any questions about the directions, please feel free to call me.

Hope to see you Monday!

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to have a house as a family heirloom! Looking forward to Monday and to hearing some more stories on your home's history.

    ReplyDelete