Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Science: Week 2

Topic: Elements, Molecules, and Compounds

        After reviewing Week 1's Q & A, we looked at our helium atom from last week. I also drew them a hydrogen atom and a lithium atom, and told them that these different kinds of atoms are called elements.  The children noticed that within an atom, there are the same number of protons and electrons. This led to our discussion about the characteristics of protons and electrons, and that an atom stays neutral when there are the same amount. I also explained to them that "like" charges repel each other, but opposite charges attract each other. After learning that an atom prefers to stay neutral and balanced, I demonstrated what happens to a negatively charged balloon. To get it charged, I rubbed it on my toddlers head. Then I held it over pieces of paper, and all the paper jumped onto the balloon. I explained to the kids that the balloon picked up electrons from my child's head, and that those extra electrons were attracted to the protons in the paper. The attraction was strong enough that the paper could overcome gravity and hop onto the balloon. The kids were very impressed to see the little bits of paper jump onto the balloon!
         We then moved on to molecules, and I told them that two or more elements can combine to make a molecule. As an example, I drew the formula H2 on the board and told them it means two hydrogen atoms, which makes a hydrogen molecule. We also did this with O2 (oxygen molecule) and N2 (nitrogen molecule). But what if different elements combine? That's what we call a compound molecule. I used H2O (water) and CO2 (carbon dioxide) as examples of compounds.
         Lastly, I talked about how atoms have to follow certain "rules" when they combine to make a molecule or compound. The rules have to do with how many bonds are formed between atoms and what shape the resulting molecule is. I drew pictures of a hydrogen molecule, oxygen molecule, nitrogen molecule, water molecule, and carbon dioxide molecule. Then came the fun part: the kids re-created my drawings using gum drops and toothpicks. The gumdrops were the atoms, and the toothpicks were the bonds between atoms.

This was a lot of information for the kids digest, but they did a great job! See you next week. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment