Friday, April 4, 2014

Latin Everywhere!

JMJ

This was so inspiring to me, I simply had to share with all of my Latin-learning families.
Recently, a very dear soul from my hometown went to his eternal rest.  He was a great leader in the Catholic community there: teacher, musician, artist, mentor.
I did not know him personally, but he touched my life through the many friends I have whose lives were--in some part--formed by him.
I once sang a duet he composed.
He taught at the Catholic high school, not the public high school, but he painted many of the beautiful backdrops for my high school choral performances, for free.
He cantored with a big booming, authoritative, yet reverent voice at Mass.

A friend of mine who was close to him inherited this hand-carved wood trim from Mr. Butz's home.  It is a portion of Psalm 150.  A priest friend translated it as such:

Praise Him in the sound of trumpets,
Praise Him with psaltery and harp,
Praise Him with timbrel and dance. - Psalm 150



And here is the most endearing part: he signed it, in Latin.  Butz fecit--Butz made this.



So, if you think there is no use for Latin, think again.  If your child is struggling to find motivation, please show them these pictures.  This man was a Catholic.  He was talented.  He was respected and loved by adults and children in my hometown.  He also knew Latin.

Please pray for the repose of the soul of Mr. Bob Butz.

Requiem Aeternam dona eis, Domine
 et lux perpetua luceat eis:
Requiescant in pace. 
 Amen.


Eternal rest, grant unto him/her O Lord
and let perpetual light shine upon him/her.
May he rest in peace. Amen.

May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment